Monday 23 March 2009

Thought's of the first week

Been here a week now, my body doesn't have a clue what time it is, and I don't normally have a clue what day it is. The jet lag created by the 7 hour time difference has been compounded by the fact this job is in effect a night shift, you go to work in the afternoon and get home at 3 or 4 in the morning, I may just be getting adjusted now but it's too late, tonight were flying to Caracus, Venesuala. which is 3 hours different to here. Flight departs 22.30 and gets into Miami at about 5.30am, we then have to get another flight on to Caracus which I think is about a 3 hour flight.
We then have time off in Caracus as the gig is the following evening... sleeeeeeeep!

Working with Pete is also challenging, (possibly one or two of the others are pleased to have me looking after Pete) I am not a person for biting my tongue but I have done on more than one occasion, Pete is a complex guy who can be easily misunderstood, the way he speaks to people is extremley direct, sometimes rude, and often amusing (unless it's directed at you), theres no doubt who's in charge when Pete's about. On the other hand the attributes are without doubt what has driven the band and without Pete there is no way they would have achieved what they have. He's also been really kind to me. So all in all no prob's.
Actually getting on well with everyone. It's bloody fantastic not being 'the boss'
It's also nice to work with a drinking band, you hear so many horror stories about drugs in this business.

3 weeks is a long time but apart from the first spidery night I have really enjoyed it, the next phase will present a whole set of new challenges without doubt. We are only taking guitars so will be at the mercy of whatever equipment is there, I have tried to deal with this with contracts but it remains to be seen how effective it has been, I am expecting problems but will deal with them one way or another.
The laptop with Skype has been brilliant for keeping contact with Pol and the Kids, this is nothing like the eighties when I used to 'dissapear' into India, (remember no mobiles or internet) and Pol wouldn't hear from me till I got back to a major city 1 or 2 weeks later.

1 comment: